As seen on All & Sundry, my year 2007 in retrospect:
1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
I went to the „Arbeitsamt“ and registered myself as „unemployed“! That’s about the most exciting (and depressing) thing I did in 2007!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
A year ago I wrote:
„I won’t make any resolutions, but this one: I will try very hard to be happy. I would hate to lose another year being miserable a lot of the time like I was in 2005 and 2006.“
I have to say, that overall, it was a better year than 2005 for sure and even though I had more sadness than expected, I did succeed in enjoying the happy days and the times with my family and friends. I am getting better in pushing away the sad reality at times and focus on the good things in my life.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, just three of my colleagues and some distant acquaintances.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Austria at least twice (Vienna and skiing just now) and Italy for work (Bologna). I am not sure, if I went to France, as that is only 50 km away, but I think I didn’t. I also went to Hamburg and while that is in Germany, it is farther away as Paris… Just a fun fact for all you Americans out there 🙂
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
A boss, that pays me well and respects me for the work I do in a fair-minded way.
7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Just one and I will not go into any details here, as many people I actually know in real life will read this and some things, I just like to keep private! Let’s just say, that it was not the best date ever… Oh, I can already see the questions in some people’s eyes… Just forget about asking right away, I won’t tell you anyway.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Hmm, that is a very tough question. I only think about the things I lost constantly. But, I guess my biggest achievement was to finish both of my extension studies successfully and with a proud smile on my face. Looking back, I even miss it and that is something, I surely didn’t think I’d say two months ago.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being able to hang on to my job.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, I just had to have my tonsils removed.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I technically didn’t buy it, as I received it as a birthday present, but I’d have to go with my new bed. The loooong time it took me to find it, was well worth the wait!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My best friends‘: even though she had the most horrible year herself, she came to my rescue and helped me through one of the hardest evenings of my year in a way, that totally surprised me and still makes me happy.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
No question here: my ex-boss just behaved unprofessionally and made me very depressed. It still does actually, even though I should be over it by now.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, heating, taxes.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I got really, really excited about my other best friend announcing her pregnancy 4 weeks ago. And, even though I am neither the biggest soccer fan in my family nor in my circle of friends, I go really really excited about the „Deutsche Meisterschaft“ for the „VfB Stuttgart„! Sort of sad, that I didn’t do or get or make anything myself, that got me really, really excited…
16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
„Wenn nicht jetzt, wann dann“ and „Still fighting it“ by Ben Folds.
The lines just sum up a feeling, that I had very often in 2007:
It hurts to grow up
And everybody does
It’s so weird to be back here
Let me tell you what
The years go on and
We’re still fighting it, we’re still fighting it“
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) the same b) fatter c) poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I had saved more money (even though I still don’t know how). I wish I’d have seen more good movies (and less stupid TV-Shows). I wish I’d exercised more (and eaten less). I wish I’d spend more times making small little trips (like this one).
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I wish I’d spent less time in front of my computer and more in the real world! And I also wished, that I’d have spent less time worrying about everything: my life, my work, my future. There is only a limited amount of things in my life, that I can control. I just have to let go sometimes…
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Very traditionally with my family, church and good food!
21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Grey’s Anatomy. Germany’s Next Top Model. And all the shows, that picture people emigrating from Germany. They are sick (the shows and the people), but I love to watch them screw up over and over again. I mean, why, why, does anyone plan to move to Canada for like 2 years and still doesn’t learn English. Why? Do they think, that by the time they get there, German will be an official language there?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, there is no person I really hate. I have a strong dislike of one woman now, that I did not have one year ago, but that feeling is not hate I think. Disappointment and frustration maybe, but not hate.
24. What was the best book you read?
I’d have to go with „Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows“, as boring as this answer probably is.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Herbert Grönemeyer. I never really listened, I mean really listened to his music before and his concert was the only one and very best I went to in 2007.
26. What did you want and get?
To finish all my studies. And I did. Hooray!
27. What did you want and not get?
A permanent job ( I know, this IS getting old, but it is true.)
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I am going with our German Oscar Movie 2007: „Das Leben der Anderen“ (yes, it was released in 2006, but I did not see it until March 2007). I also liked „Blood Diamond“ and „Shut up and sing“ very much.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was happy that one of my best friends was back home and we ate lots of cake (I think). Oh, and I turned 25 in 2007.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Again: having a job in January and December! (However: I can only say this, because it didn’t happen). If I would have a job now, the answer would be: a great trip to an exciting location.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Function over Fashion. It still rules.
32. What kept you sane?
My friends and my family. At least most of time. Sometimes, they added to the insanityof my life 🙂
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Very difficult question. I still fancy Jude Law. I love Justin Chambers. I was very impressed by Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks. And I think Franz Müntefering did an admirable thing, that is very rare in the age of public political break-ups (Sarkozy, Oettinger). He stepped down for the sake of his wife!
35. Who did you miss?
From November onwards: my colleagues.
And in the summer: clean cyclists at the Tour de France!
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Not many new people I met this year. Most I do not care about much.
Honestly, there is nobody I can think of. I am glad, that I did not get to see some stupid people again in 2007 though.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
Life goes on. It really does.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I already did. See question No. 16.